Tobii Sono Key offers intuitive and coherent access to all functions of your communication device – and now it is better than ever. The new version, Tobii Sono Key 1.5, is easier to configure, more flexible, comes with new functional modules and is key guard accessible.
Tobii Sono Key 1.5 is a user interface for Tobii Communicator that provides literate people with comprehensive, streamlined access to a communication device. With Tobii Sono Key 1.5 it is easy to chat, send emails, hold a conversation, call a friend, surf the web, play games, read, use social media or simply write down your thoughts.
Who does Tobii Sono Key help?
All literate people with varying levels of communication disabilities can use Tobii Sono Key. It is very well suited for individuals with MND, Cerebral Palsy or stroke/aphasia, and even possible to create different user profiles for use in multi-user environments.
Tobii Sono Key 1.5 unlocks the full functional scope of your computer, making an independent life more of a reality.
Get your message heard
With Tobii Sono Key you can speak out loud using synthesized speech, create, store and print your own documents, and access the full range of computer functions such as email, chat, Facebook, text messaging, E-Reader, games, media players and photo libraries. With Tobii Sono Key you can even turn your communication device into an environmental control unit (ECU) for full control of your television, lights, doors and more.
Better customisation for an enhanced user experience
The ways in which we communicate are very personal, and everybody has their own preferences on how to set up communication tools. With Tobii Sono Key 1.5 you can optimize your input parameters and change the keyboard style to the one that suits you the best.
In version 1.5, the wide functional scope of Sono Key has become fully modular and flexible. Personalize your communication aid by defining your own home screen with only the functional apps that you frequently use.
All customization and settings are conveniently done in a central control panel – without having to go via Tobii Communicator’s edit mode.
More functional modules for better computer access
Tobii Sono Key 1.5 offers various functional modules to ease your computer access. This includes: E-Mail, Facebook, Media Player, Skype, a picture viewer and much more. New for Sono Key 1.5 is support for the Kindle-for-PC E-Reader as well as popular Windows 7 games (including chess). The Windows Control to access standard software on your computer now offers a choice between either mouse emulation or Tobii Gaze Selection.
Key guard accessible
Most functions, including Facebook, email, Skype, text-messaging, are now key guard accessible. The matching new key guard design is now available for Tobii I-Series.
Control AAC speech output and other functions
With Sono Key you have easy access to all the functions of your communication device, just to mention a few:
- Text-to-speech – type and let your computer speak for you.
- Manage text – open and save documents, or send them to a printer.
- Skype – chat with friends and family.
- Facebook – be part of the world’s largest social network.
- Kindle E-Reader – access the most popular E-book Reader.
- Games – control the Windows games that are installed on Windows 7.
- Calendar functionality – browse your calendar, add appointments, and create alerts for important events.
- Music Player – listen to your favorite music whenever you want.
- Photo Browser – take pictures with your device, view photos and create your own slideshows.
- Calculator – math made easy.
More than face-to-face communication
Communication is about more than just talking to the person next to you, especially in today’s society where new technologies are continuously introduced. Tobii Sono Key lets you be a part of this development by offering:
- E-mail control – send and receive e-mails with the support of synthetic speech.
- Mobile phone functionality – send and receive SMS messages and make regular phone calls.
- Skype Chat – reach out to the more than 30 millions Skype users online
- Environmental control – program environmental control functions for the TV, lights, household and more.
Customizable in many ways
Personalizing input methods is accomplished in a few seconds, and you can even choose from several different keyboard layouts including, abc and QWERTY, as well as keyboards optimized for eye control.
Tobii Sono Key offers a variety of selection methods including, direct selection by click or touch, selection with adjusted dwell time, scanning as well as eye control.
Even your homepage can be customized; simply select the modules you need in the Sono Key Control Panel.
All settings can easily be adjusted with no programming required.
Quick communication and ease of use
Tobii Sono Key has many built in functions that allow you to communicate faster and make using your device easier and more efficient. Some of them are:
- Windows on-screen keyboard – provides extended functionality and easy access for web browsing.
- Quick Talk – speak without having to change applications.
- Quick phrases – store as many premade sentences as you want, sort them into groups, and communicate faster.
- Message history – easy access to the last utterances made, since these are often reused.
- Screen functions – easily open, close, enlarge or reduce the size of applications.
- Oversized buttons – large and easy to access buttons.
- Alerts – program attention grabbing alert sounds on your computer for you or caregivers.
- Volume control – quickly increase or decrease volume.
How do I access Facebook with Communicator?
From April 30th 2015, Facebook access in Tobii Communicator will not work anymore. This affects all users who access Facebook from within a page set in Communicator, including Sono Key.
The reason for this is that Facebook has made changes to their third party policy, affecting important parts of Communicators Facebook implementation.
After April 30th Facebook will stop supporting Graph API v1.0 which Communicator/Sono Key uses, and transition to the new Graph API v2.0. As part of this transition process Facebook is making all 3rd party applications reapply for access rights to user accounts. Due to policy changes, 3rd party access to elements such as the user’s newsfeed and wall is now restricted. Facebook does not want to grant these permissions to 3rd party Windows applications, as they prefer users to use their web-interface or official Windows 8 app. Tobii Dynavox has, and will continue to appeal this decision, but for now we will not be able to provide access to Facebook for our users after April 30th.
We recommend that users who wish to use Facebook access it through Windows Control and a web browser.